full size.png

D2947B

Eldon Colliery

Shildon

54.647397,-1.630937

South Durham Colliery

Northern Pit

Opened:

1829

Closed:

1932

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

8 Nov 2021

Owners: 

Joseph Pease (1850s), Smithson & Co. (1860s), South Durham Coal Co. (1880s), Pease & Partners Ltd. (1903), Dorman Long (1940s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0