top of page
full size.png

D2947A

Eldon Colliery

Shildon

54.651842,-1.623676

South Durham Colliery

John Henry Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1829

1932

Entry Created:

8 Nov 2021

Last Updated:

8 Nov 2021

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Joseph Pease (1850s), Smithson & Co. (1860s), South Durham Coal Co. (1880s), Pease & Partners Ltd. (1903), Dorman Long (1940s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

These are the remains of the John Henry Pit colliery.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page