full size.png

D16669A

Middridge Colliery

Middridge, nr Shildon

54.631482,-1.613773

Charles Pit

Opened:

1874

Closed:

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

9 Dec 2021

Owners: 

Weardale Iron & Coal Co. (1880s), National Coal Board (1947), R. & A Young Mining Ltd. (1980s)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

Sunk in 1972 by Weardale Iron & Coal Co. Closed in 1921

Note - DMM indicates site lasted longer, though shows as disused on Ordnance Survey maps.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Likely Charles Pit, undated. Source: Stewart Smith, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0