full size.png

D16652

East Howle Colliery

Ferryhill

54.700022,-1.548414

Opened:

1872

Closed:

1905

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

5 Nov 2021

Owners: 

East Howle Coal & Fire Brick Co. (1860s), North of England Industrial Iron & Coal Co. Ltd (1870s), Carlton Iron Co. Ltd (1880s)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

Opened in 1872 with three pits. Included coke ovens, reservoir and workers housing. Closed in 1900s.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0