top of page
full size.png

D16640

Wheatley Hill Colliery

Wheatley Hill

54.746827,-1.402326

Opened:

Closed:

1869

1968

Entry Created:

21 Jan 2022

Last Updated:

2 Jan 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Thornley Coal Co. (1869), Original Hartlepool Collieries Co. Ltd. (1880s), Weardale Iron & Coal Co. Ltd. (1885), National Coal Board (1947)

Description (or HER record listing)

This is the site of a colliery with associated workers housing. It operated from 1869 for a century and was then closed and demolished in 1969. At one time an aerial ropeway ran from the colliery to a nearby spoilheap (1-5).

NEHL - Wheatley Hill Colliery was a sizeable working, with a substantial pit village over a dozen rows long by the 1890s. It joined the Sunderland & Hartlepool Railway via a small branch named the Green Hills Railway for onward shipment at Hartlepool. The pit village featured a hotel & public house named the Colliery Hotel, a chapel, Temperance Hall as well as school and hotel over at Wheatley Hill Farm. Another Mission Church was located here also.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Wheatley Hill Colliery, undated. Source: Wheatley Hill Colliery, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Wheatley Hill Colliery and the aerial ropeway, undated. Unknown original source.

Wheatley Hill Colliery and the aerial ropeway, undated. Unknown original source.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page