full size.png

D16627A

Shotton Colliery

Shotton

54.765003,-1.382987

Engine Pit

Opened:

1840

Closed:

1972

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

13 Jan 2022

Owners: 

Haswell, Shotton & Easington Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. (1840), Haswell Coal Co. (1850s), Horden Collieries Ltd. (1901), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

Pit sunk in 1840 by the Haswell Coal Company. Ownership changed hands several times before before becoming part of the National Coal Board in 1947. The village of Shotton Colliery developed after the pit was sunk to provide housing for the miners and staff for the colliery. The pit closed in 1877, however reopened and the village expanded, as well as other industries such as Coke Works and Brick Works. Closed on 1st September 1972.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Shotton Colliery, undated. Source: Shotton Colliery, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0