West Cornforth Colliery
20 Jan 2022
Rosedale & Ferryhill Iron Co. (1867), Thrislington Coal Co. (1879), North Bitchburn Coal Co. (1914), Henry Stobart & Co, Ltd (1932), National Coal Board (1947 -)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Sunk in 1840s but expanded in the 1860s under Rosedale and Ferryhill Iron Co. Changed ownership several times before becoming part of the National Coal Board in 1947. Three pits were opened. Closed in March 1967. Colliery shown as further to the east on second edition map with a new pit sunk.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Thrislington Colliery, undated. Source_ Part of J.M.Boyes Collection at the F.W.Armstrong Collection
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.