full size.png

D15912A

Holmside Colliery

Craghead

54.849583,-1.670866

Oswald/Thomas Pit

Opened:

1839

Closed:

1969

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

20 Jan 2022

Owners: 

Messrs. Hedley (1850s), Hedley Bros (1860s), Holmside & Southmoor Collieries Ltd. (1910s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

The site of a colliery noted in a desk-based assessment. Known to date from 1839-1969 The site was noted from the historical OS maps.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Craghead Colliery Pithead, 1963. Source: Craghead Colliery, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0