top of page
full size.png

D15910

West Stanley Colliery

Stanley

54.868727,-1.691491

Burns Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1832

1936

Entry Created:

21 Jan 2022

Last Updated:

21 Jan 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

James Joicey (1850s), David Burns (1860s), John Henry Burn (1880s), South Derwent Coal Co. Ltd. (1910s)

Description (or HER record listing)

The site of a colliery noted in a desk-based assessment. Known to date from 1832-1937. The site was noted from the historical OS maps.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

West Stanley Colliery, undated. Source: Raines Antiques, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page