top of page
full size.png

d015a

Dipton Colliery

Dipton

54.875729, -1.759967

Delight Colliery

Delight Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1855

1940

Entry Created:

6 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

6 Jun 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

John Bowes & Co. (1850s)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Coal has been worked in this neighbourhood from a very early period, chiefly by drifts, which are very numerous along the valley of the Derwent, and in many place the top seams are almost worked out. At present there are three extensive collieries at work in this parish [Dipton]. The Delight pit, sunk in 1854, is now worked by Jno. Bowes and Partners, Limited. The following seams are here: the Hutton, 6 feet 6 inches ; the Main Coal, 3 feet ; and the Busty, 4 feet 11 inches, at a depth of 114, 70, and 64 fathoms respectively. There are 62 coke ovens, by which the small coal is converted into coke. The average daily output is 400 tons, giving employment to 260 men and boys."

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (Retrieved from Durham Mining Museum)

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Postcard of Delight Pit circa 1910s. Source unknown.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Delight Pit, undated. Source: Bowes Railway, Facebook

Delight Pit, undated. Source: Bowes Railway, Facebook

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page