top of page
full size.png

d006a

Derwent Colliery

Medomsley

54.886463, -1.810444

Hunter's Colliery

William Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1856

1964

Entry Created:

11 Jul 2022

Last Updated:

11 Jul 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Edward Richardson & Co. (1850s), Consett Iron Co. Ltd. (1860s), National Coal Board (1947)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - This mid 19th century pit was opened in the village of Medomsley by Edward Richardson. Early maps from the 1860s indicate a fairly large scale operation with multiple railway sidings, an on-site smithy and various shafts dotted around the village. It was also linked to the Pontop & South Shields Railway.

Ordnance Survey, 1896

Ordnance Survey, 1896

Derwent Colliery, undated. Unknown Source

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Derwent Colliery, undated. Unknown Source

Derwent Colliery, undated. Unknown Source

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page