top of page
full size.png

csm01a

Chester South Moor Colliery

Chester le Street

54.837803, -1.583126

Chester Moor Colliery

Fan Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1889

1967

Entry Created:

9 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

10 Jun 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Sowerby, Phillips & Co. (1860s), Messrs. Thiedemann & Wallis (1880s), Priestman Collieries Ltd. (1880s), National Coal Board (1947)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Chester Moor is another colliery village, pleasantly situated on the Durham road, about two miles south of Chester-le-Street, and four and a half north of Durham. Here is the Chester Moor colliery, worked by Messrs. Thiedemann & Wallis, and giving employment to over 230 men and boys. The Hutton seam, 4 feet thick, is being wrought at a depth of 40 fathoms, giving an average daily output of about 700 tons."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (retrieved from Durham Mining Museum)

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Chester Moor Colliery, undated. Unknown Source

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Chester Moor Colliery, undated. Source: Chester Moor Colliery, Facebook

Chester Moor Colliery, undated. Source: Chester Moor Colliery, Facebook

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page