top of page
full size.png

cro04a

Wooley Colliery

nr Crook

54.741001, -1.724649

Opened:

Closed:

19th c

1963

Entry Created:

27 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

27 Jun 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Joseph Pease & Partners (1860s)

Description (or HER record listing)

Wooley Colliery, near Stanley Crook was recorded as being owned by Joseph Pease & Partners in the 1860s. In 1948 there were 685 people employed at the collier (581 working below ground and 104 on the surface). Wooley Colliery closed in 1963. - Co-Curate

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Wooley Colliery, undated. Unknown Source

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page