top of page
full size.png

cr06a

Low Beechburn Colliery

Crook

54.707340, -1.750755

Thistleflat Colliery

Opened:

Closed:

19th c

1937

Entry Created:

5 Jan 2023

Last Updated:

5 Jan 2023

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Joseph Pease & Co. (1850s), John Sharp (1880s), Low Beechburn Coal Co. Ltd. (1890s), Beechburn Coal & Firebrick Co. Ltd. (1930s), Hird & Co. (1930s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Low Beechburn Colliery (originally Thistleflat Colliery) was one of a number of collieries situated on the Darlington to Consett Railway. This was one of the earlier workings, established by Pease circa 1840s and operating until the 30s just before nationalisation.

It was a significant working, with at least 2 rows of coke ovens and an internal tramway system into a drift mine on the eastern side of the site.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page