top of page
full size.png

corn01a

Bells House Colliery

Cornsay

54.778449, -1.753585

Opened:

Closed:

1928

1935

Entry Created:

25 Apr 2023

Last Updated:

25 Apr 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Bells House Coal Co. (1920s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Bells House Colliery was a small working near Bell's House Farm, operating between 1928 and 1935. The pit only employed at most 10 people, which demonstrates the small scale working that had been initiated. It is possible the working used pre-existing shafts as tunnels will have been found everywhere in this area. To the east and west various disused drifts and old pits were still extant.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page