top of page
full size.png

ca04b

Andrews House, coal shaft

Causey

54.904566, -1.683894

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

pre-1862

Entry Created:

26 May 2023

Last Updated:

26 May 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A coal shaft is illustrated on the 1862 Ordnance Survey map at this location. No further context is given apart from the shaft noted as 'old', which indicates it operated in the first half of the 19th century. It is one of the many old coal shafts around the Causey Arch and surrounding woods.

There were two shafts around Andrew's House (https://www.northeastheritagelibrary.co.uk/features/Andrews-House%2C-Marley-Hill), which were totally lost by the 1890s as they do not appear on the second Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey, 1862

Ordnance Survey, 1862

The coal shaft was located in the bottom left of this photo, which depicts the ruined Andrews House.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page