top of page
full size.png

byk01b

Byker, Virgin Pit

Byker

54.966950, -1.575604

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

pre-1850s

Entry Created:

5 Mar 2024

Last Updated:

5 Mar 2024

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - The Virgin Pit was situated at the top of St Peter's in the 18th century, as featured on William Donkin's plan of Byker from 1767. The pit may have been owned by Sir Henry Lawson. It stood on the Byker Waggonway, which at this time led from St Lawrence into Byker.

There is no trace at all of the pit, though it is highlighted by the Coal Authority on their records.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page