top of page
full size.png

byk01a

Byker, Speedwell Pit

Byker

54.969118, -1.574544

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

pre-1850s

Entry Created:

5 Mar 2024

Last Updated:

5 Mar 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Speedwell Pit was named after the adjacent field, Speedwell Close, and was situated on the lane between St Peters and Byker in the 18th century. It is illustrated on William Donkin's plan of Byker from 1767, and may have been owned by Sir Henry Lawson.

Any traces of the pit had disappeared by the mid 19th century. The site is now open grassland near Walker Road.

Approximate location of the Speedwell Pit.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page