full size.png

bu01c

Burnhope Colliery

Burnhope

54.828270, -1.704213

Fortune Pit

Opened:

1850

Closed:

1949

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

25 Jul 2022

Owners: 

J. Townley & R. Fletcher (1860s), Fletcher & Sowerby (1880s), Utrick A. Ritson (1880s), U. A Ritson & Sons Ltd. (1900s), Ritsons (Burnhope Collieries) Ltd. (1930s), Bearpark Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. (1939), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

"Burnhope Colliery is the property of Utrick Alexander Ritson, Esq. The area of the royalty is 837 acres, and all the well known seams of the Durham coalfield are represented. The Busty seam yields a splendid coking coal, while the coals of the Harvey, Hutton, Low Main, and Five Quarter are unexcelled for gas making purposes. The present output reaches from 800 to 900 tons per day."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

Ordnance Survey, 1896

Ordnance Survey, 1896

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Burnhope Collieries. Annie Pit is on left and the Fortune Pit on the right. Source: the J. Dunn Collection

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Most likely Burnhope Colliery, undated. Unknown Source

Most likely Burnhope Colliery, undated. Unknown Source

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0