top of page
full size.png

br01a

South Brancepeth Colliery

Page Bank

54.716199, -1.641173

Page Bank Colliery

Opened:

Closed:

1855

1931

Entry Created:

28 Jul 2022

Last Updated:

28 Jul 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

West Hartlepool Dock & Railway Co. (1855), Bell Brothers Ltd. (1860s), Dorman Long (1923)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Pagebank Colliery was first sunk in 1851 by a West Hartlepool company. It is now the property of Bell Bros., Ltd. Here the "Busty," 5 ft., is found at a depth of 22 fathoms, worked by two shafts; and the "Brockwell," 3 ft., at a depth of 45 fathoms, also by two shafts. This colliery makes a daily output of 850 tons, 600 of which are converted into coke on the spot, there being 312 ovens. The men and boys employed number 700."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum

NEHL - Page Bank Colliery was also the scene of a devastating fire which killed 10 (these names can be seen on DMM). An illustration can be seen depicting this tragedy.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page