17 Jan 2023
17 Jan 2023
Cowpen Coal Co. Ltd. (1930s), National Coal Board
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - The Bates Pit was opened by the Cowpen Coal Co. in the 1930s, when the coal industry was still going strong in these parts. The original shafts were sunk in 1904 as part of the Cowpen Colliery network of pits, though a third shaft was sunk in 1932.
The complex was extensive, covering a significant amount of land which was previously farmland and marshes alongside an alkali works and some smaller dwellings. By the 1930s, extensive sidings were constructed alongside coal loaders on the river for ships. The original pit buildings appear to have been made out of timber and iron according to contemporary aerial imagery.
The pit closed soon after the miners strike, with the loss of 1735 jobs.
Ordnance Survey, 1966.
Bate Pit can be seen alongside the coal loaders on the banks of the river Blyth. Source: © Historic England. Aerofilms Collection Historic England Photograph: EPW048829 flown 01/08/1935
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Bates Pit pre-modernisation, so likely pre-NCB ownership. Unknown original source.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by