top of page
full size.png

biddi01b

Biddick Hall, Mill Pit

South Biddick

54.871266, -1.515236

Opened:

Closed:

pre-1850s

19th c

Entry Created:

29 Apr 2024

Last Updated:

29 Apr 2024

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Earl of Durham

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A coal pit stood just north west of Biddick Hall in what's now a wooded plantation. The name implies it stood close to a mill, though this is not shown on 1850s maps nor tithe maps. The 1848 tithe map dictates this was arable land, and by the 1890s the pit was a mound in the field.

Upon visiting, there was no indication of a pit, just the aforementioned mound. It was likely utilised for the Lambton Estate, as were others in the area. Either way, it was short lived.

The mine entry is shown on government data.

Ordnance Survey, 1862

Ordnance Survey, 1862

Site of Mill Pit in the foreground. The aforementioned mound is shown. Taken in 2024.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page