top of page
full size.png

b048a

Bishop's Close Colliery

Spennymoor

54.697541, -1.630462

Opened:

Closed:

1860

19th c

Entry Created:

28 Jul 2022

Last Updated:

28 Jul 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Weardale Iron & Coal Co. (1860s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Bishop's Close Colliery closed relatively early compared to its counterparts. It was modest in nature and stood about half a mile north of Bishop's Close Farm. There was a few coke ovens and pit terraces to the east of the complex. There was also a number of railway sidings backing on to the Bishop Auckland & Ferryhill Railway. It is shown as disused on the 1897 map, contesting various sources.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page