top of page
full size.png

b045a

Bowden Close Colliery

Crook

54.718079, -1.717690

Norwich Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1845

1930

Entry Created:

9 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

9 Jun 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Joseph Pease (1850s), Pease & Partners Ltd. (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Messrs. Pease & Partners and Strakers & Love work the coal in this township [Helmington Row], the former at Bowden Close, where they convert all the output of that colliery into coke, there being 135 ovens. Sunnybrow Colliery is worked by Strakers & Love, where the Busty seam is met 25 fathoms deep. There are two or three minor seams above this also being worked. Fire and common white bricks are made here."

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (retrieved from Durham Mining Museum)

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Bowden Close Colliery, undated. Unknown Source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Bowden Close Colliery Yard, undated. Unknown Source.

Bowden Close Colliery Yard, undated. Unknown Source.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page