top of page
full size.png

b028a

Broomhill Colliery

Amble

55.303144, -1.611675

A Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1849

1961

Entry Created:

16 Aug 2022

Last Updated:

16 Aug 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

W. Barkus, Murray & Burdon (1850s), Henry Ritson (1880s), Sowerby & Andrews (1880s), Broomhill Coal Co. Ltd. (1890s), Broomhill Collieries Ltd. (1900s), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Broomhill was a fairly extensive colliery complex at the village of Broomhill, south west of Amble. It was connected to the Amble Branch, which then went on to connect to the East Coast Main Line. The main pit had a gas works, brick works and a large number of sidings emanating from the section of double track just past Broomhill Station.

Much of the site today has been reclaimed for agricultural use.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Broomhill Colliery, 1965. Unknown original source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Pit heap at Broomhill Colliery, undated. Retrieved from Durham Mining Communities, Facebook. Original source unknown.

Pit heap at Broomhill Colliery, undated. Retrieved from Durham Mining Communities, Facebook. Original source unknown.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page