top of page
full size.png

b025a

Browney Colliery

Brandon

54.743778, -1.611101

Opened:

Closed:

1871

1938

Entry Created:

17 Oct 2022

Last Updated:

17 Oct 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Bell Brothers Ltd. (1871), Dorman Long (1923)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Browney is the name of another colliery village, occupied by the employees of Messrs. Bell Bros., Limited, colliery and coke ovens.

The Browney Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1887, to seat 270, and cost £400. The ground is held by a rent of 1s. per year to the colliery owners.

Browney British School was built in 1881 by the colliery owners, and consists of mixed and infants, with accommodation for 407 in all, the average attendance being 309 in 1892.

The Browney Colliery Reading Room and Library was provided by the owners of the colliery. The library comprises over 1000 books, and the reading room is well supplied with the usual papers."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum

NEHL - The colliery itself was connected to the East Coast Main Line, and had 2 long lines of coke ovens. Sidings extended up to the terraces of the pit village which has all since been demolished. The pit was abandoned in 1938, 10 years before nationalisation.

This was one of many collieries in the Dorman Long supply chain - likely one of its most northern.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Grainy snapshot of Browney Colliery, undated. Undated and source unknown.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page