top of page
full size.png

b020a

Barcombe Colliery

Bardon Mill

54.996620, -2.341098

Opened:

Closed:

19th c

19th c

Entry Created:

23 Feb 2023

Last Updated:

23 Feb 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

William Makepeace & Co. (1850s), Henderson & Co. (1860s), J & B. Makepeace (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A small colliery worked here through the mid to late 19th century, It appears rather than a vertical a horizontal level was dug into the side of the hill, alongside a number of coal shafts dotted around the landscape.

There also appears to have been a tramway leading from the coal level to Bradley Burn, and south towards Bardon Mill connecting Limekilns, quarries and other pits to the village. It is likely this was the Crindledykes Waggonway.

There is still some masonry at the site.

Ordnance Survey, 1866

Ordnance Survey, 1866

Former site of Balcombe Colliery in 2012. Source: Andrew Curtis, Creative Commons License

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page