top of page
full size.png

b012b

Brandon Colliery

Langley Moor, Durham

54.751667, -1.622028

C Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1856

1968

Entry Created:

9 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

9 Jun 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Strakers & Love (1856), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

Brancepeth Colliery opened in 1840 near Willington in County Durham. The colliery was owned by Strakers & Love Ltd. up to nationalisation in 1947. There were 3 pits ('A', 'B', & 'C') plus a drift mine. There was also an associated coking plant. At it's peak, in terms of numbers employed, in 1921 there were 2,354 working at the colliery (1,601 working below ground and 753 working on the surface). Brancepeth Colliery closed on the 22nd of July 1967, with the loss of over 1,000 jobs. (Co-Curate)

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Brandon Colliery C Pit, 1928. Unknown Source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Visit by Hugh Gaitskell, Minister of Fuel and Power, to Brandon Colliery in March 1949. Source Unknown.

Visit by Hugh Gaitskell, Minister of Fuel and Power, to Brandon Colliery in March 1949. Source Unknown.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page