top of page
full size.png

b011a

Black Prince Colliery

Tow Law

54.752682, -1.814708

Opened:

Closed:

1846

1933

Entry Created:

7 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

7 Jun 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Attwood & Co. (1850s), Weardale Iron Co. (1858), Weardale Iron & Coal Co. (1860s), Weardale Steel, Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. (1900s)

Description (or HER record listing)

"At the Black Prince Colliery, worked by the Weardale Iron and Coal Company, there are about 640 men and boys employed, working the "Ballarat" seam, 1 foot 10 inches to 2 feet thick; the "Five Quarter," 2 feet 5 inches to 2 feet 9 inches ; "Top Coal Seam," 2 feet 9 inches ; and the " Main Coal," 2 feet 10 inches to 3 feet 6 inches thick. The whole of these seams provide good coking coal. The main coal crops out to the surface a little to the west of Dan's Castle."

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (Retrieved from Durham Mining Museum)

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Ordnance Survey, 1890s

Black Prince Colliery, undated. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page