top of page
full size.png

b001a

Byers Green Colliery

Byers Green

54.695432, -1.655094

Opened:

Closed:

1841

1931

Entry Created:

15 Aug 2022

Last Updated:

15 Aug 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Durham County Coal Co. (1830s), Robson & Jackson (1850s), West Hartlepool Harbour & Railway Co. (1862), Bolckow Vaughan (1860s), Dorman Long (1929)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Coal mining operations have been extensively carried on in Byers Green township for many years, the royalties being now worked by Messrs. Bolckow, Vaughan, & Co., at their pit, which was sunk in 1877. Here are two seams, the "Busty," 48 fathoms deep, having a section of 4 ft. with a band varying from inches to feet. The "Brockwell" seam is met at a depth of 76 fathoms, and is 3 ft. 10 in. thick. The two seams yield an average output, when in full operation, of 640 tons per day, and give employment to 600 men and boys. The coal is chiefly converted into coke, for which purpose there are 353 ovens. The "Beaumont" and "Harvey" seams are also met here."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum

Byers Green Colliery, undated. Unknown Source.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page