top of page
full size.png

a019a

Abbots Close Colliery

Crook

54.711679, -1.785341

Opened:

Closed:

Unknown

1928

Entry Created:

7 Jun 2022

Last Updated:

25 Aug 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Thomas Wailes (1880s), Wailes Brothers (1890s), Steels House Coal Co. Ltd. (1920s), Steels House Colliery Co. Ltd. (1920s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - Abbot's Close Colliery was a timid affair, unconnected to any railway and fairly isolated between any of the more significant complexes. Previous to the site becoming a coal working it was a clay pit. The pit is shown on 1890s maps as two buildings surrounded by a drift and old shaft. There is also a waste heap shown on the west of the site.

Though the wood plantation is in situ, there are no clear remains of the working.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page