3 Sept 2021
21 Apr 2023
Lord Londonderry (1869 - 1900s), Londonderry Collieries Ltd. (1900s), Lambton & Hetton Collieries Ltd. (1910s), Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd (1934 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
The pit was opened in 1869 and closed 6 November 1971. North Pit was at NZ376540. It was opened by Lord Londonderry, subsequently owned by Londonderry Colleries Ltd, then Lambton and Hetton Colleries Ltd, from 1934 the Lambton Hetton and Joicey Colleries Ltd, and from 1947, the National Coal Board.
In 1894 there were 2000 workers at the colliery producing up to 2500 tons of coal a day, which was shipped at Sunderland Docks. Near to the colliery there were a few houses for the colliery officials. New Silksworth became a populous colliery village with shops, schools and chapels, and superior housing to the older colliery villages. Residents were able to get brakes and buses to Sunderland as there was no railway connection.
The Marquis of Londonderry built a colliery school in 1875 for 290 boys and 290 girls and 270 infants. There were houses for the master and mistress. Work started in April 1893 on the miner's hall in Blind Lane. It was a spacious brick building with stone facings in an Italian style. It included a large lecture hall with gallery and stage, "well lit and tastefully decorated" to seat 900. There were also billiard, reading and recreational rooms. The hall cost £3300.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Silksworth Colliery, 1953. Source: Sunderland Antiquarian Society
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Postcard of the pit from 1919.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by