North Biddick Colliery
3 Sept 2021
28 Mar 2022
Sir George Elliot, Bart. (1880s), Lambton Collieries Ltd. (1890s), Lambton & Hetton Collieries Ltd. (1910s -)
Description (or HER record listing)
Opened before 1710, closed March 1935. Little Pit was sunk in 1894. Victoria Pit was at NZ 317 543. Owned by Sir George Elliot, Bart, then Lambton Colleries Ltd, then Lambton and Hetton Colleries Ltd. On November 17 1771, North Biddick, Chartershaugh and Low Lambton Colleries filled with water. Over 30 horses drowned, the wagons were swept away and the fire engines destroyed. Whellan reported in 1894 that there were two upcast and three downcast shafts at this colliery. Daily output was 940 tons of coal. 600 workers on the Maudlin seam and 350 on the Hutton seam. An explosion on 28 January 1743 killed 17 miners. Another on 6 December 1773 killed 19.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
North Biddick Colliery, undated. Source: Raggyspelk
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Aerial view of North Biddick Colliery from above Victoria Viaduct, 2022.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by