3 Sept 2021
14 Sept 2023
Burdon Sanderson, Mr Clark
Description (or HER record listing)
Jesmond Colliery. There were two associated pits - D Pit (HER 6952) and Middle Pit.
NEHL - Very little is known about the collieries, however references can be seen in local newspapers between the 1810s and 1830s.
In the 1820s, Jesmond Colliery was owned by a Mr Sanderson, as per a report in the Tyne Mercury in 1827. He advised he was no longer able to supply any but the best coals from the New Pit, which he would charge 9 shillings per load delivered within the walls. The new colliery (aka the D Pit) was located in Jesmond Vale, but was owned by the same people as the Middle Pit.
The D Pit was on sale in 1860 by a Mr Clark which included bridge rails, gin gang, pulleys, iron crane, trams and rolleys, pit props, pony limers, anvils, vices, grease and timber. It was to be sold at the Royal Arcade.
The Pit House for the Middle Pit was still in situ in the 1850s well after it went out of use, though was demolished for housing by the 1890s.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by