full size.png

6946

Garesfield Colliery

High Thornley, Gateshead

54.935783,-1.742835

First Pit

Reclaimed

Last Updated:

3 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Marquis of Bute (1860s), Consett Iron Co. Ltd. (1890s), National Coal Board (1947-)

HER Info

First Pit - part of Garesfield Colliery (HER 3372). Opened circa 1800, closed 29 January 1960. Owned by Marquis of Bute, then Consett Iron Company Ltd, and from 1947 the National Coal Board.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0