8 Sept 2021
John Bowes & Co. (1911 - 1940s), Washington Coal Co. Ltd. (1940s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Opened in 1911. Owned by Washington Coal Company until 1947 when it was taken over by the National Coal Board. In 1959 Wardley colliery took over Follonsby Colliery (which became known as Wardley No. 1 Pit. The pit closed in August 1974.
Ordnance Survey, 1899
Follonsby Colliery, date unknown. Source: Gatesheadhistory.com
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us