full size.png

6932

Chopwell Colliery

Chopwell, Gateshead

54.938614,-1.811970

Pennyhill Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

7 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Marquis of Bute (1802 - 1890) Consett Iron Co. Ltd (1890 - 1940)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

Opened in 1802 and closed in 1940. Chopwell Colliery opened in 1781, closed November 1966. Owned by Marquis of Bute, taken over in 1890 by Consett Iron Company Ltd until the National Coal Board took it over in 1947.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0