full size.png

6931

Chopwell Colliery

Chopwell, Gateshead

54.928587,-1.815076

Conclusion Pit

Reclaimed

Last Updated:

3 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Marquis of Bute (1799 - 1890) Consett Iron Co. Ltd (1890 - 1947) National Coal Board (1947-)

HER Info

Opened in 1799. Chopwell Colliery opened in 1781, closed November 1966. Owned by Marquis of Bute, taken over in 1890 by Consett Iron Company Ltd until the National Coal Board took it over in 1947.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0