top of page
full size.png


Bournmoor Colliery

Fencehouses, Sunderland


Lambton Colliery

A Pit



Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

7 Sept 2021




Earl of Durham (1820 - 1896), Lambton Collieries Ltd (1896 - 1910s), Labton & Hetton Collieries Ltd. (1910s - 1930s), Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd. (1930s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

Shown on Ordnance Survey first edition map of 1850. Bournmoor Colliery was opened in 1790 and closed on 27 February 1965. The owner in the 1820s was the Earl of Durham. In 1896 it was owned by Lambton Colleries Ltd, then Lambton and Hetton Colleries Ltd, then Lambton, Hetton and Joicey Colleries Ltd and the National Coal Board from 1947.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 


Historic Maps provided by

bottom of page