Lawson Main Colliery
3 Sept 2021
5 Sept 2021
Description (or HER record listing)
Lawson Main Colliery is shown on Ordnance Survey first edition of 1850, with the buildings and shaft more clearly marked on the second edition of 1890. An archaeological evaluation in September 2004 demonstrated that the foundations of the colliery buildingssurvive just below the turf. Sandstone and brick walls and piers, a brick platform and a floor surface made of compacted coal were recorded. Above this was a yard surface lying on a bed of large sandstone slabs. The proposed development will be archaeologically monitored.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by