Lilley Drift Colliery
Rowlands Gill, Gateshead
Lily Drift/Barlowfield Drift
7 Sept 2021
5 Apr 2022
Joseph Cowen & Co, Priestman Collieries Ltd. (1910s), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
Shown on Ordnance Survey Survey second edition. Opened in 1877 by Joseph Cowen & Co. Later owned by Priestman Colleries Ltd until 1947 when the National Coal Board took over. Closed on 6 January 1957.
Ordnance Survey, 1921
Aerial photo of Lily Drift. The wooded area denotes the site of the various sidings to link with the Consett Branch. They continue over the road to the rest of the complex.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
This modern residential estate takes the place of the 'Barlowfield Drift', part of a triplet of drifts at the site.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by