Backworth, North Tyneside
4 Sept 2021
Humble, Lamb & Co (1830s), Backworth Colliery Co. (1840s), Waldie & Co. (1850s), Maud, Taylor & Co. (1860s), J. C. Lamb & Co (1880s), Backworth Collieries Ltd. (1890s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Opened in July 1905. Sinking was complete and coal was produced in 1907. The Eccles is the deepest of the Backworth pits. James Batty was in charge in 1907. in 1927 mechanical mining started at the Maude, Eccles and Algernon Pits, displacing pit ponies. Eleven injured, with four dying later after a gas explosion in 1928. The pit head baths for the Maude and Eccles pits opened February 15th 1930. Three men died (T. Chater, T. Livingstone and T. Anderson) after an explosion in April 1922. Shown on Ordnance Survey third edition.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Eccles Colliery, 1969. Source: Billy Embleton, Flickr
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us