3 Sept 2021
4 Apr 2022
John Fleming & John Milling (1880s), Redheugh Colliery Ltd. (1890s -)
Description (or HER record listing)
Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Opened 1872 and closed 28 May 1927. Owners were John Fleming and John Milling, later Redheugh Colliery Ltd. In 1894 the annual output of coal was 120,000 tons. 420 people worked at the colliery. On 5 January 1929 there was an explosion. The flames apparently reached 70 feet above the winding shaft. The timber seals over the shaft were blown 60 yards away and the rope wheel from the fan shaft, 90 yards. Over 200 window panes of glass in nearby houses smashed.
Ordnance Survey, 1899
Redheugh Colliery, undated. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Aerial view of Redheugh Colliery, 2022. Cropmarks can be seen on the site.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by