full size.png

5105

First and Second Engine Pits, Longbenton

Longbenton, North Tyneside

55.006672,-1.598748

Opened:

Closed:

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

8 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Earl of Carlisle

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

Second Pit is shown on a plan of the Earl of Carlisle's Estate 1749. A further plan of the same year shows First and Second Engine Pits. A wagonway linked Dyke Pit (HER 5104) to these pits and ran south to staiths at Walker. Last shown on a plan of 1824 of the royalties and extent of manorial rights to coal under Gosforth. It may have been disused at this time. The site was built over with housing in the 1950s-1960s.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0