Bewicke Main Colliery
3 Sept 2021
6 Sept 2021
Hunt, Perkins & Co. (1860s), E.M Perkins & Partners (1880s), Charles Perkins & Partners (1890s), Birtley Iron Co. (1910s), Pelaw Main Collieries Co. (1920s -)
Description (or HER record listing)
Shown on OS map of 1890. Site now occupied by caravan site. Was served by wagonway (HER 5051) and linked by a tramway (HER 5052) to a coal drift (HER 5053). Opened in 1862 by Charles Perkins and Partners. Employed 300 men and boys. The village was built close to the pithead. There were 83 houses in five groups - Cross Row, Short Row, Long Row, High Row and The Square. Gas lighting was not installed until 1910. A colliery school was erected in 1873 by Birtley Iron Company to accommodate 120 children. The school closed on 13 November 1931. The Primitive Methodust Chapel opened in 1901, built of bricks and corrugated iron. At the laying of the foundation stone, members and friends bought bricks for a shilling and had their initials inscribed on them. The chapel burned down on 5 November 1938. The colliery was owned by Hunt, Perkins & Co, EM Perkins and Partners, Charles Perkins and Partners, Birtley Iron Company, then Pelaw Main Colliery. Mill Drift closed in 1915, Riding Drift in 1921 and the main colliery seams in 1932. The village disapperaed with the closing of the colliery.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Bewicke Main Colliery, date unknown. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by