top of page
full size.png

4289c

Montague Main Colliery

Denton

54.987269, -1.687446

Opened:

Closed:

1765

19th c

Entry Created:

25 Aug 2023

Last Updated:

25 Aug 2023

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

William Benson & Sons

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - This pit likely formed part of the Montague Main complex. The "Old coal shaft" is illustrated on the 1860s Ordnance Survey maps. It was in a form still in situ through to modern housing developments.

The shaft can be seen on 1940s aerial imagery as a small circular wooded area between what is likely Francis Pit and the still working Caroline Pit.

Coal from this pit likely used the Kitty's drift underground railway to ship coal to the Tyne, alongside the more well known Caroline Pit and View Pit.

Ordnance Survey, 1860s

Ordnance Survey, 1860s

The Montague Main Collieries are evident in this aerial pit from the 1940s. This pit is the circular wooded area in the centre. Source: Google Earth

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page