East Denton, Newcastle
Montague Main Colliery
3 Sept 2021
25 Aug 2023
William Benson & Sons (1860s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
Montague Colliery was opened in 1750 by William Benson, closed 1959. The Mickley Coal Company utilised part of Kitty's Drift (underground railway, HER 6959) in the 1930s to take coal from Caroline Pit to the screens at the closed View Pit. The colliery was run by the National Coal Board from 1947.
NEHL - The colliery can be seen on 1940s aerial imagery, featuring the huge waste pit to the rear of the main complex.
Ordnance Survey, 1947
Caroline Pit can be seen on the right, still in operation.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by