top of page
full size.png

4284

West Denton Colliery

Lemington, Newcastle

54.975427,-1.703865

Yarmouth Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

6 Sept 2021

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Edward Montagu M.P (1760s), West Denton Colliery Co. (1920s -)

Description (or HER record listing)

West Denton Colliery, Yarmouth Pit opened in 1792. There were two other associated pits - Kew Pit and North or Gin Pit. It was owned by Edward Montagu MP in the 1700s, and later by West Denton Colliery Company. Nothing is shown here on Ordnance Survey first edition, an air shaft is shown on second edition, but by third edition (1919) West Denton Colliery, Yarmouth Pit is shown. The colliery closed in 1924.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page