3 Sept 2021
17 Jul 2023
Burradon & Coxlodge Coal Co. (1892), Hazlerigg & Burradon Coal Co. (1929 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
Hazlerigg Colliery. This was opened 1892 by the Burradon and Coxlodge Coal Company. It transferred in 1929 to the Hazlerigg and Burradon Coal Company Ltd, then to the National Coal Board in 1947. Closed 25th November 1964. There was a pumping shaft at NZ 227 717.
NEHL - At its peak, 1010 worked at this pit which meant much of the surrounding area was directly connected to this pit. The pit was on the Fawdon Waggonway, which provided a direct link to the colliery railway at West Moor and down to Wallsend, though there was later a connection at Killingworth to the East Coast Main Line. The single track line also extended the other way to Coxlodge Waggonway though this was dismantled soon after.
It was a substantial complex at its physical peak in the 30s, with at least two shafts, a pithead baths, pit reservoir and a substantial heap on its west side. An internal tramway system facilitated the transport of slag to the heap from the main shaft building.
Nowadays the site has not been redeveloped and is wooded. The pit terraces on Strawberry Terrace are still in situ and form the last tangible part of the colliery, though the old waggonway alignment can still be recognised on Coach Lane.
Ordnance Survey 1898
Hazlerigg Colliery, 1901. Source: Billy Embleton
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
The site of the colliery today is fully wooded, with the ground covered in fauna and bushes. This makes it difficult to find any visible trace of the pit, though it is likely under the soil.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by