19 Jan 2022
Throckley Coal Co. (1860s), National Coal Board (1947 -)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
The Throckley Coal Company was formed in 1862 and included Major Stephenson, John Spencer (of Newburn Steelworks), Mr. Simpson and Mr. Boyd. The main drawing shaft - the Isabella shaft - was named after the wife of the company director. This was not the only shaft - the Derwentwater was the third shaft on the site. The coal seam exploited was the Brockwell seam. The colliery was not noted for any mechanisation by 1945. Coal production ceased in January 1954. Selected demolition/salvage had taken place of the Derwentwater winding machinery from 1938 to 1940.
Update 19/01/2022 - Remains of Coke Ovens can still be found at the site in wooded area. Thanks to Jon Harle (@jonharle1) for documenting this and allowing the use of his image.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Remains of Throckley Colliery Coke Ovens. Source: Jon Harle, Twitter
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.